- Fixes a crash in 1.6.5 that would occur when changing the selected item in the sidebar with thumbnails selected
- Can now select a contiguous range of thumbnails with shift-click, in addition to the previously existing selection methods
- Now shows image dimensions in bottom bar when a single thumbnail is selected
- Deleting an item in thumbnail view now moves selection to the next item instead of clearing selection
- If thumbnail filenames are visible, clicking on a filename will now select the corresponding thumbnail
- Fixed bugs with thumbnail zoom slider and zoom in/out stepper buttons
- Fixed a bug where more thumbnails than necessary could be loaded, impacting performance
- Now more lenient about where marquee selections can start to prevent unintentional thumbnail dragging
- Improves appearance of toolbar on macOS Big Sur
- Adds native support for Apple silicon (M1)
- Fixes additional situations where thumbnails may appear in the wrong orientation if high-quality thumbnails are not enabled in Preferences
- Maximum possible size for thumbnails is larger
- Slideshow Pacing preference is now correctly persisted even if keyboard focus doesn't leave the text field
- File > Open Recent sub-menu is now functional
- Scrolling and interaction with UI elements should now be more responsive while thumbnails are loading, due to more work being offloaded to background threads.
- Spect now snaps the thumbnail slider to certain specific sizes, which enables optimized thumbnail caching. Adjusting the thumbnail size slider no longer requires reloading any images that have already been cached at the current thumbnail size or larger.
- When reducing thumbnail size via the slider, Spect will reuse an existing thumbnail of a larger size if available instead of reloading the image, which improves responsiveness.
- Other bug fixes.
- Fixes a bug where rotated EXIF thumbnails would not be displayed in the correct orientation if the "Highest Quality Thumbnails" preference was not enabled.
- Initial support added for video files:
- "Include Videos" checkbox added to preferences.
- Files with supported video formats will now appear alongside all other thumbnails, badged with the letter "V" for "video".
- Videos will play when viewed in full size view.
- When full size image is "zoomed to fit", the image size will now grow and shrink when Spect's window is resized.
- Fixed layout bug that caused window to grow larger if an image with a long file path was viewed at full size.
- Fixed layout bug that occurred when exiting full screen after viewing an image at full size.
- The label that shows the current file's path in full size view now has a tool tip. If the path label is truncated due to its length, you can view the full path in its tool tip.
- Replaced the folder scan depth popup with a simpler "Include subfolders" checkbox
- Many people found the scan depth popup confusing, and there wasn't much actual benefit to being able to set the scan depth to something other than "show subfolder contents" or "don't show subfolder contents".
- Animated GIFs now play when viewed in full size view.
- Toolbar is no longer automatically hidden when entering full screen. It can still be hidden manually.
- "Copy Filename Only" menu item is now also available in full size view.
- Pressing left or right arrow keys during shuffled slideshow will now follow slideshow order instead of thumbnail sort order.
- Pressing the space bar while a slideshow is running will now pause and unpause the slideshow instead of returning to thumbnails.
- A significant performance increase in most cases for window resizing, scrolling, and marquee selection
- No longer shows "The operation was cancelled" alert if you click Cancel in the confirmation dialog after moving items to trash
- Other minor bug fixes
- No longer shows a misleading "corrupt file" error if root folder from previous session no longer exists when Spect is launched.
- Miscellaneous code clean up and bug fixes.
- Performance optimizations to thumbnail loading and sorting.
- Fixed bug introduced in 1.4 that caused Spect's toolbar icons to disappear if running on Sierra or High Sierra with the "Use dark menu bar and Dock" system preference enabled.
- Added support for Dark Mode in macOS 10.14 Mojave.
- A new preference "High Quality Thumbnails" forces Spect to always generate thumbnails by loading and decoding the full image instead of the default behavior, which is to use the image's embedded thumbnail (if present). Embedded thumbnails load significantly faster, especially from network volumes, but are generally of lower visual quality. Generating high quality thumbnails can be especially slow for large image files (such as RAW files), and require more memory to store. This preference allows you to decide whether you prefer fast-loading, low memory-usage thumbnails at reduced quality, or slow-loading, high memory-usage thumbnails at full quality.
- In previous versions of Spect, embedded (low quality) thumbnails sometimes appeared with black bars (letterboxed) or in the incorrect rotation. We now try to detect when this occurs, and load a high quality thumbnail instead for affected images. If you have a large number of files with this problem, you may notice a reduction in thumbnail loading performance as a result, but their thumbnails will be accurate. (Since this could adversely impact performance for some users, I'm still debating whether to remove this behavior and have the "High Quality Thumbnails" preference always be the deciding factor -- perhaps you'd rather have fast thumbnails at all costs, even if some are letterboxed or incorrectly rotated. If you have strong feelings about this, do let me know.)
- Sidebar items can now be sorted in the same manner as the thumbnails
- Fixed some images being shown at the wrong size when Actual Size was chosen in full size view
- Added new "Copy Filename Only" menu item that does not include the selected image(s) path when copying to the clipboard
- An "Open With" submenu is now available in the contextual menu for both thumbnails and full size view which allows you to open images in an external viewer or editor
- If you delete an image in full size view, Spect now remains in full size view and shows the next available image instead of returning to the thumbnails view
- Fixed a situation where the sidebar would appear alongside the "Open Folder" panel, rather than replacing it
- Added tooltips to zoom buttons in full size view
- Updated help file to accurately reflect the latest features and behaviors
- In the 1.1 release notes, "Name sort should now be in same order as in Finder" referred only to the ordering of thumbnail images. The names of folders in the sidebar are now also sorted in the same order as Finder.
- Drag and drop behavior has changed:
- In previous versions of Spect, all drag and drops were "copy" operations. In 1.2, Spect behaves more like Finder.
- For outbound drags, the receiver of the drag decides whether to move or copy the files, and any files moved out of the currently visible folder structure will be removed from Spect's interface.
- For inbound drags, files will be moved, unless the "option" key is held down when they are dropped, in which case they will be copied.
- The above change also enables images dragged out of Spect to be dropped onto the icons of other applications in the Dock (ie; drop on Mail's icon to add the image as an attachment to a new email)
- Images can now be dragged from the thumbnail view to a folder in the sidebar. If dropped in an empty area of the sidebar, the items will be moved to the current top-level folder (or copied, if "option" is held down)
- In full size view, the file path shown in the bottom bar now highlights the file name so it's easier to scan visually
- Added a preference to include/exclude PDF files during folder scanning
- Fixed a bug where the thumbnail view's contextual menu could incorrectly enable menu items that should not be available when summoned from an empty area of the view. Selecting one of these incorrectly enabled items would lead to an exception/crash.
- A bug was fixed in 1.1 that did not mentioned in the release notes where a corrupt image file could trigger an exception/crash
- Added zoom in, zoom out, zoom to fit, and zoom to actual size for full-size view
- Added sorting options to View menu
- Name sort should now be in same order as in Finder
- Drag a folder to Spect's dock icon to set it as the new top-level folder
- Added menu items to hide/show sidebar and bottom bar
- Because sidebar and bottom bar visibility is now user-controllable, sidebar and bottom bar no longer automatically hide when entering full screen mode
- Added menu items with keyboard shortcuts for zoom in and zoom out
- Added keyboard shortcuts for switching between current folder only / unlimited depth scanning
- Pressing Esc now exits full-size view even if sidebar has focus
- Clicking a folder or empty region in the sidebar will now exit full-size view
- Thumbnail zoom can be changed in steps by clicking the icons to either side of the zoom slider
- Fix thumbnails not loading for unloaded images that get revealed when toggling filenames from shown to hidden